Dandruff is such a tormenting hair problem, next to hairfall. Atleast 90% of us would have encountered dandruff in their life. Dandruff as such doesn’t pose a serious issue but when it’s associated with irritations & itchiness along with induced hair hairfall, it becomes necessary to treat your dandruff filled scalp. Dandruff can occur on any hair and scalp type, be it dry or oily. Dandruff is a fungal infection of the scalp, usually identified as the white oily flakes that is present on your scalp.
What causes Dandruff?
- Oily scalp – The excessive oils and dead skin cells on the scalp combine to form oily white flakes. This happens when you don’t shampoo your scalp properly or enough and leaving your scalp oily for more period of time.
- Dry scalp – This is exactly the opposite of above. In this case, the white flakes occurs due to dry scalp when the scalp is not balanced. Dry air and weather conditions is a common factor for this type of flakes.
- Product Build Up – The usage of hair products like hair serums, hair styling products can lead to product build up and cause dandruff.
- Other Skin conditions – Dandruff can be associated with skin conditions like Eczema, Dermatitis and lead to more fungal growth than what it is normally.
For mild to moderate dandruff, using a good Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoo will do the needful. Dermatologists Prescribed Dandruff Shampoos usually have two main ingredients to tackle dandruff.
- Ketoconazole is an anti fungal medication that kills fungus. It is also known to reduce dandruff associated conditions such as itching, scaling, flaking and dry skin.
- Selenium Sulphide is yet another anti-fungal which is as effective as Ketoconazole in eradicating dandruff.
- inc Pyrithione is both an anti fungal and anti bacterial that helps to releive from dandruff. This also works for dermatitis and hairfall. This is an ingredient that is often found in conventional Anti Dandruff Shampoos.
The following is the list of Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoos that is often recommended by Dermatologists.They are mostly available without a prescription but we always recommend getting consulted with a dermatologist before getting a Medicated product.
How to use Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoos?
- Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoos are to be used sparingly.
- Twice a week for severe dandruff & once a week for mild to moderate dandruff.
- You can alternate with your regular shampoo.
- You should stop using it when your dandruff condition improves and shouldn’t commit to using them lifelong, obviously because they are sort of treatment products.
- It is best to use under the guidance of a dermatologist.
Best Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoos of 2019
1.Nizoral Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- Contains 1% Ketoconazole.
- Thick rich lather cleans the scalp well.
- Smells nice with no medicinal scent.
- Reduces flaking, scaling and itiching.
- Fight off dandruff outbreaks.
- You need to always use a conditioner with this shampoo as it might leave your hair dry.
Where to buy? Amazon.in
2. Scalpe Plus Expert Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- Contains both Ketoconazole (2%) and Zinc Pyrithione (1%).
- Pleasant Fragrance.
- Gives a conditioning effect leaving hair soft & shiny.
- Not only reduces dandruff but also prevents hairfall.
- Recommended by many Dermatologists.
- Suitable for color treated hair.
- Does not foam much, so some might not like it. But that is why this isn’t drying.
Where to buy? Amazon.in
3. Cipla 8x
This is an effective Anti Dandruff Shampoos that is specifically formulated for itchy and scaly dandruff.
- Contains Ciclopirox (1%) and Zinc Pyrithione (1%) both of which are anti-fungal, along with aloe vera to condition.
- Best suited for those with very oily scalp.
- Efficiently clears dandruff in few uses.
- Effective for seborrheic dermatitis.
- pH balanced formula.
- It can be drying.
4. Selsun Shampoo
- Contains Selenium sulfide 2.5%
- Controls dandruff superbly.
- Reduces scalp fungal infections.
- Strong formulation to be used after consultation only.
Where to buy? Amazon
5. Ketoscalp Anti Dandruff Shampoo
This has a similar formulation of the Scalpe Shampoo, but is slightly more on the drying side. Yet it effectively removes dandruff and its associated scalp problems like itching & flaking.
- Contains both Ketoconazole and Zinc Pyrithione.
- Its priced affordable.
- It’s unisex and suitable for all hair types.
- Helps with dandruff significantly.
- Hair looks volumized.
- Can be drying.
6. Head and Shoulders Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Lastly, we have our classic cult favourite Head and Shoulders Anti Dandruff Shampoo. It is one of the best and most affordable Anti-Dandruff Shampoos in the market. It’s easily available in stores and we also have a lot of variants to choose from. The Classic Clean version had 1% Zinc Pyrithione to fight off dandruff.
- Removes dandruff from first usage.
- Does not dry out hair, rather makes it soft and smooth.
- Budget friendly & easily available.
Where to buy? Amazon.in
These are the most recommended Best Medicated Anti Dandruff Shampoos in India. Do let us know your favorites in the comments section below.