We all must be knowing how important is it to use a sunscreen. Sunscreens not only protects our skin, but is crucial to prevent skin cancer caused due to excessive uv rays exposure. Due to global warming, it has become mandatory to use a sunscreen shine or rain. But out of all skincare products, sunscreens are the most trickiest. Until a decade ago, most sunscreens had a formula that don’t gel well with our skin, some were thick & greasy, some made us look “white”; albeit while still being effective in providing sun protection. White cast is one of the major reason why most people neglect sunscreen. But gladly, various Beauty brand’s have taken immense effort to provide us cosmetically elegant sunscreens that goes on like a moisturizer without giving any white cast. Today’s post will feature the Top 10 Best Affordable Sunscreens without White Cast in India. All of them will suit all skin tones, including deeper and dark skin tones.
Before moving onto the list, let me share few facts and tips on choosing a right sunscreen.
- For the Indian Weather, choose a sunscreen that has an SPF of 35-50. Ideally SPF 15 blocks 93% of UVB rays, SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays and SPF 50 blocks 98% of UVB rays.
- The PA rating also matters the most as it denotes the UVA protection. Choose one that has atleast +++ or more.
- Physical sunscreen are said to be the ideal choice for sensitive skin types, as they are less irritating. These are known to leave a white cast. But then we have advanced formulas that tend to leave minimal white cast.
- Chemical sunscreens on the hand have better spreadability and skin feel, but the common chemical filters are known to be potential carcinogens and hormonal disruptors. Well we do have advanced chemical filters like the Tinosorb S that are tested to be safe for our skin and body.
- The key is to analyze the ingredient list thoroughly before making a purchase. Try to skip chemical filters like Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, Homosalate and make sure that your sunscreen has one or two anti oxidants like Green Tea.
- Unlike other skincare products like moisturizer and serums, we do not want our sunscreen to penetrate deep into our skin. It is ideal to choose one that says to be “non-penetrative”. Usually physical sunscreen do not get absorbed into the skin and sit on top reflecting the harmful rays. You could also use an aloe gel before your sunscreen for it to be less penetrative.
- Sunscreens should be majorly considered as a protection against rays. Sunscreens do prevent sunburns to a great extent, but they do not always prevent tanning. You should cover yourself if you choose to go under direct sunlight for long hours to prevent tanning.
- One thing that most of them do wrong with sunscreen is applying a pea sized amount of it as that covers the whole face. But guess what, Applying a little of the sunscreen is equal to “No sunscreen “ at all. You should slather on the sunscreen. Typically one should use ¼ teaspoon of sunscreen for your face for it to be effective. It is for this reason that I prefer to go for sunscreens that have light gel based formulas. If you choose thicker formulas, then it’s going to be heavy on the skin.
- Sunscreens should be applied on the skin gently. You shouldn’t be rubbing them hard. Take your sunscreen on three of your middle fingers. Press them together on both your hands and gently swipe it on your face starting on your cheeks and then pat it gently until the sunscreen disappears from the skin’s surface. You could use gentle circular motions if the formula is thicker.
- In case of chemical sunscreens, it is best to apply your sunscreen before 20 minutes of direct sun exposure. Physical sunscreens tend to work immediately after application.
- Lastly sunscreens should be re-applied every 2 to 3 hours irrespective of sun exposure. By each hour, the effectiveness of the sunscreen goes down, so re-apply it. It is not necessary to wash off your face or remove makeup before re-application, you can just layer it above them.
Moving onto the list of budget friendly sunscreens in India.
Best Sunscreens Without White Cast in India
Lotus Herbals UV Screen Matte Gel
- Provides both UVA & UVB protection with SPF 50 PA+++
- Enriched with Horse Chestnut, Comfrey & Vanilla Extracts.
- Light gel based formula that has a soothing effect.
- Smooth soft matte finish with zero white cast.
- Ideal for Normal & Oily Skin Types.
- Not tested on animals.
- Presence of parabens.
Aroma Magic Aloe Vera Sunscreen Gel
Aroma Magic from the house of Blossom Kochhar has a range of physical sunscreens. Out of all of them, the aloe vera sunscreen is a clear gel based formula that goes on completely transparent on the skin with zero white cast. This is a mineral sunscreen that uses non nano zinc oxide which does not penetrate into the skin and is considered the most safest sunscreen filter. Apart from being free of harsh chemicals like parabens, alcohol & artificial fragrances, this physical sunscreen is fortified with skin friendly natural ingredients such as Aloe Vera Extract, Beeswax, Wheatgerm, Avocado & Grapeseed Oils and Essential Oil Blend of Peppermint, Calendula and Roman Chamomile. Aroma Magic Sunscreen is one of the best sunscreens for oily skin under 200.
- Budget friendly.
- This is a physical sunscreen.
- Clear gel blends seamlessly into the skin.
- No white cast or whatsoever.
- Suitable for oily, acne prone & sensitive skin types.
- SPF 20 may not be sufficient for outdoor/direct sun exposure.
Re’equil Oxybenzone & OMC Free Sunscreen
This is a trending sunscreen at the moment. Specially formulated for oily, acne & sensitive skin types, this sunscreen has advanced uva & uvb filters for low penetration, so it does not harm us in anyway. It is a non-greasy sunscreen with a lightweight feel. The sunscreen has a milky lotion like texture that goes on to give a smooth matte finish. It provides broad spectrum coverage and also claims to provide 6 hour of sun protection, hence it is ideal for those who are not for “sunscreen re-application”. This has everything one would look for in a sunscreen.
- Formulated with advanced UVA & UVB filters.
- Great sun protection with SPF 50 PA+++.
- Lightweight matte finish.
- Free of harmful chemical filters Oxybenzone and OMC.
- Suitable for Combination, Oily, Sensitive & Acne Prone Skin Types.
- Non comedogenic, Paraben Free and Dermatologist Tested.
- It has a mild fragrance which may not be liked by all.
Where to buy? Amazon
Derma Essentia Sunscreen Gel
Derma Essentia Sunscreen Gel is an underrated sunscreen gel. It is well priced at under 500. It is formulated with advanced next generation encapsulated sunscreen along with natural anti-oxidant rich ingredients. This sunscreen shields the skin against harmful rays and also forms a protective layer against dust & pollution. It is a white lotion with good bendability and lightweight feel. It is non greasy yet mildly hydrating making it suitable for all skin types, including acne prone.
- Broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 50 PA+++.
- Non comedogenic, Water Resistant & Sweat Resistant.
- Alcohol & Paraben Free.
- Light textured lotion consistency applies easily.
- Does not leave white cast.
- Protects skin against pollution as well.
- Dermatologists Recommended.
- Has a scent which may not be preferred by all.
Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte Gel
The college goers favourite, Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte Gel is an easily available drugstore sunscreen and is also the most affordable sunscreen under 250. It has a light gel cream texture which gives a matt skin without sticking to dry patches. This doesn’t clog pores and suits all skin types. It doesn’t leave behind any white cast too.
- Easily available and budget friendly.
- Broad spectrum coverage with SPF 50 PA+++.
- Has a citrus fragrance which is very refreshing.
- Matte effect.
- Works well under makeup.
- Non comedogenic.
- It’s not sweat proof.
Mamaearth Ultra Light Indian Sunscreen
This a new launch from the very popular mom & baby care brand Mamaearth. This sunscreen is specially formulated to suit our Indian Skin. It has safe, advanced chemical filters that provide sun protection upto 6 hours. It is also enriched with natural ingredients including Turmeric & Carrot Seed Oil. The sunscreen is also free of parabens, silicones, mineral oil and other harmful chemicals. The Mamaearth Earth Ultra Light Indian Sunscreen has a milky lotion consistency that feels comfortable on the skin. Lightweight and Breathable yet Nourishing. This is suitable for Combination, Normal & Dry Skin Types.
- Has SPF 50 PA+++.
- Certified Toxin Free.
- Contains natural ingredients to boost its effectiveness.
- Fast absorbing, light lotion consistency.
- Does not leave a white cast.
- It’s waterproof upto an hour.
- May not suit very oily skin.
(The upcoming sunscreens in the list are priced above 500 but are most often available on discounts, so you can get them under 500 rupees.)
Wow AM2PM Spf 50 Water Resistant Sunscreen
Infused with Moroccan Argan Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Liquorice Extract, Vitamin E, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, Wow AM2PM sunscreen is a 2 in 1 moisturizing sunscreen. The cream based chemical sunscreen is best suited for dry skin types. This sunscreen is waterproof and is ideal for swimming.
- Free of parabens, mineral oil, etc.
- Gives a glowy, dewy finish.
- Does not leave a white cast.
- It’s waterproof and sweatproof.
- Vegan Friendly.
- Oily skin types might need to powder up after application.
Suncros Soft Gel
Suncros Soft Gel is one of the Dermatologists Recommended Sunscreens. It’s a physical sunscreen and is suitable for oily, sensitive and acne prone skin. It has a soft creamy texture and leaves the skin velvety smooth upon application. It provides broad spectrum coverage and prevents sun damage. This is a unisex product and can be used by everyone, including kids and babies above 6 months of age.
- Dermatologists Recommended.
- Good coverage with SPF 50+ PA+++
- Physical sunscreen.
- Comfortable matte finish.
- Leaves skin velvety smooth.
- Suitable for all including kids.
- Silicone based.
Where to buy? Amazon
La Shield Oil Free Sunscreen Gel
La Shield Oil Free Sunscreen Gel is another best sunscreen recommended by dermatologists for acne prone skin types. It is non-comedogenic, water resistant, free of preservatives, alcohol & dyes. It has a gel cream formula that leaves the skin matte. It gives a natural finish on brown skin tones, without leaving any white cast.
- SPF 40 PA+++.
- Has a combination of physical & chemical filters.
- Has a soothing gentle fragrance.
- Oil free with matte effect.
- Non-comedogenic, suits acne prone skin.
- Water resistant.
- Suitable for dark skin tones.
- Has a yellow tint to it, but that disappears without any trace.
Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream Mild
Although I encountered a lot of Asian sunscreen that don’t leave a white cast, this is the only korean sunscreen in India that falls in the affordable category. Innisfree Daily UV Protection Cream Mild is a water based moisturizing sunscreen enriched with Jeju Green Tea Extracts and Sunflower Seed Oil. It is most loved for its no white, moisturized skin feel. The sunscreen is free of animal ingredients, artificial colorants, tar dye, talc and mineral oil.
- SPF 35 PA+++.
- Lightweight, non sticky, non irritating.
- Gives a glowy dewy finish.
- Infused with natural anti-oxidants.
- Free of 5 toxins.
- Can make skin oily after few hours.
That was the list of the best affordable sunscreens without white cast in India.
Buy these promising sunscreens with no white cast on Amazon