Can IVF Treatment be an Option? If you are a couple who is unable to conceive naturally and seek infertility treatment, then IVF treatment is the best one for you. An in-vitro fertilization is a process where the eggs are removed from the ovaries and then mixed with the partner’s sperm in a culture dish in the lab. When the egg gets fertilized, it is directly induced into the uterus of the woman. The IVF treatment lasts between 4 and 6 weeks. The success rate of an IVF treatment depends on your underlying fertility problem and the age of the woman. The chances of getting pregnant are higher for those who are younger. So age and female fertility are directly related. Older women also have a higher risk of miscarriages than younger women.
Advantages & disadvantages of an IVF pregnancy or treatment:
- Most IVF babies do not have any life-term problems and they are very much normal than any other naturally born babies and it gives the woman a chance to conceive if she is unable to do so naturally.
- Reduced time taken to conceive. Most IVF clinics in Bangalore first introduce the couple to a counseling session where they explain the time taken for a normal conception and the time taken in case infertility.
- More than one embryo is transferred into the uterus in an IVF process to increase the chances of success. This could lead to multiple babies. Multiple pregnancies may increase the risk of premature babies or babies with lower birth weight.
- The fertility drugs can cause many side effects, which could include a headache, nausea, and hot flushes.
- There are chances that the baby may be born with a birth defect. However, this is not very common and is a rare occurrence.
- In some cases, an infertility treatment can also cause gestational diabetes. Although this a common one but IVF pregnancy has high chances. A controlled diet and medication should keep this in check.
IVF babies are as normal as babies born naturally?
There are preconceived notions about IVF babies become less smart compared to normal one’s but that is not true. This is a big myth. The truth, however, is far from the notion carried by the majority. IVF children are as normal as a natural baby, both in terms of mental and physical health. The only difference between a normal conception and an IVF conception is only a tube which induces pregnancy. Here the naturally occurring process is administered and monitored. That is the only possible difference. All the other things remain same. So there is nothing to worry about your baby when you choose an IVF treatment.