Hello everyone. Today I would like to share some easy DIY body scrubs that can be very easily made at home by ourselves. Making your own body scrub can save you a lot of money and the best part is that you can customize it according to your own needs. You Decide What Goes Into Your Skin!
So why do you need body scrubs?
Because they aid in removal of dead cells, impurities from the outer layer of the skin and unclog pores revealing the healthier underlying layers. Also scrubbing promotes blood circulation and aids in rejuvenating the skin making it soft, smooth, younger and healthier.
Before starting I would like to tell you that it is ideal to use body scrubs only once or twice in a week and excessive scrubbing can damage your skin. And do not use scrubs after shaving or epilating, it might sting; it is best to use it before shaving or epilating.
To make a body scrub, two primary things are needed
- An Exfoliator: An exfoliator is something that contains minute granules or particles that helps to clear the skin from dead cells and impurities. Some common Exfoliators are sugar, salt, oatmeal, rice flour and gram flour.
- A Carrier Oil or A Liquid Base: A carrier oil or liquid base is required to provide moisture to the skin. It is essential to hold the body scrub mixture together with the Exfoliant. Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Water, Milk, Honey are some among many that hydrates your skin.
- Fragrance (optional): To enjoy a luxurious bath, one can add essential oils for fragrance and therapeutic benefits according to one’s likings. Ideally Tree tea oil is suited for oily skin, Lavender oil for all skin types and geranium oil for dry skin.
Now let’s see how to prepare some easy homemade body scrubs.
1. Sugar Scrub:
This is my favorite of all the three scrubs and its just very simple to make.
- Sugar – 2 tablespoon
- Extra virgin olive oil – 4 tablespoon
- Lavender essential oil – 2 drops (optional)
In a bowl, add sugar and few drops of essential oil and mix well. Then gradually add Olive oil until it reaches the necessary consistency, stirring continuously. Voila! The mixture is ready for exfoliation. This sugar scrub is best suited for dry skin.
The gritty substances present in Sugar acts as an exfoliant sloughing off dead cells and the olive oil would help cells to regenerate and provide moisture to the skin and you will be left with a soft, smooth and nourished skin.
2.Green Tea Scrub:
I use this scrub when I feel like detoxing my skin. This body scrub rich in anti-oxidants is great for removing toxins from the body.
- Sugar – 2 tablespoon
- Green tea sachet – 1 no
- Brewed Green tea – 1 tablespoon
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
To make it, Brew the green tea into a strong concoction and leave it to cool. Add sugar, olive oil and the concoction in a bowl. Tear open the green tea sachet and add it with the rest of the ingredients in the bowl. Mix well and your body scrub is ready. This body scrub is suitable for dry skin.
The Green Tea contains tannin, an astringent that miraculously shrinks skin while Olive Oil helps in providing adequate moisture to the skin. You can also replace olive oil for coconut oil. Coconut oil is a perfect cleanser for any type of skin even oily as it will gently wash away all dirt and impurities from the skin.
This is a brightening scrub that brightens dull skin. You can use it before any special occasion.
- Sea Salt – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice – 3 teaspoons
In a bowl, add salt (sea salt or table salt). Then slowly add the lemon juice stirring continuously until it reaches the consistency that is required. This salt scrub is best suitable for oily skin.
Sea Salt is the best ingredient for scrubbing oily skin which removes dirt and kills germs while the Lemon juice acts as a liquid medium to bind the mixture together. Lemon juice helps in reducing tan and improves skin complexion.
So that’s all about it. I hope you enjoyed reading. Do you make your own body scrub? If so share your recipe so that all of us can give it a try. See you soon, bye, take care and,